1. As specified in BLS Handbook of Water Safety Ireland.
2. As per IWS Rescue Skills Manual.
3. Demonstration of simple rescue techniques, using accident scenarios to highlight the candidate’s ability to recognise, assess and take appropriate action. Use a minimum distance of 10 metres in all methods.
4. Eye and voice contact should be maintained throughout. Remove shirt and trousers / track suit bottoms before entering the water. Subject may be told to be prone or supine.
5. As per IWS Rescue Skills Manual.
6. Good stroke technique is desirable but not essential. This item is intended to ensure teachers have a basic level of swimming ability and fitness.
7. Depth of dive should be related to where classes are taught.
8. Continuing BLS on poolside may be required by the examiner.
9. Practical demonstrations are not required. This is to ensure the safety of both the casualty and the candidate during the assessment.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD): In line with the principles of CPD the following IWS courses are recommended for all swimming teachers:
BLS 2 and 3.
Rescue 1, 2 or 3.
Special Needs Assistant.
Water Safety Instructor.
Primary Aquatics and Water Safety (PAWS) Provider.